Filemaker just released a new update to Filemaker Go this morning, and it’s big!
A particularly huge item that seemed to slip through the cracks of the new features list is:
iOS app developers may take advantage of the newly enhanced URL protocol from FileMaker for calling FileMaker Go. Using the URL protocol, developers can now specify a FileMaker Pro script and script parameters. This allows developers of commercial and in-house iOS applications to extend FileMaker Go databases and provide a wide spectrum of useful solutions such as bar code scanning.
This means that you can write applications for iOS and call scripts in Filemaker using parameters. You can’t even do this in Filemaker Pro! Who needs to to use plugins on iOS, just use iOS apps, communication can go both ways by registering a url scheme for your own app that Filemaker can call to trigger actions.
- Take photos, add them to the database, and email as an attachment
- Convert records to PDF and email file from the database
- Save a copy of a database and email it as an attachment
- Import records from FileMaker Pro databases to FileMaker Go via scripts
- Be able to require users to re-log onto FileMaker Go after iPhone hibernates
- Solves compatibility issues running on iPhone
I think these have got to be some of the biggest requests on my list. I’m downloading as we speak.